Research and Development Director
We are looking for R& D Director to our customer Leica Geosystems Machine Control Division.
The company is a part of the Hexagon Group, who is a leading global provider of technology solutions that drive productivity and quality across geospatial and industrial landscapes.
Simply, they connect everything in the system – people, machines or processes – embed intelligence and enable visualization for smarter interaction with information. The solutions are optimizing the flow of information in some of the world’s most vital industries – from agriculture, manufacturing, construction, and energy to public safety, security and defense.The company is a part of the Hexagon Group, who is a leading global provider of technology solutions that drive productivity and quality across geospatial and industrial landscapes.
The Machine Control Division, who is among the top 3 companies in the world within their field, has established themselves as a leader within machine control technology and delivers innovative solutions globally to the construction industry and offers a comprehensive end-to-end service including initial consultation, development and evaluation throughout installation, training and support to the widest range of machine control and position applications.
With its advanced technology, Leica Geosystems has during the past 200 years revolutionized the business. Frontrunner with the world’s first portable theodolite. Later with de first laser measuring equipment and today with high technological solution which continues to reach new highs.
The Machine Control Division’s headquarter is in Odense, Denmark with offices in Sweden, Switzerland, and Australia.
The R&D Director will be responsible for all product development for the Machine Control Construction business, and ensuring products are delivered on time, on or under budget, and according to the approved Product Roadmap.
The R&D Director is responsible for ensuring implementation and sustainment of the right processes (product development process and HIP (Hexagon Innovation Process) and standards for project management to optimize functionality, costs and time.
It is the company’s vision to be the number 1 provider of machine control solutions in profitability and market share in the Construction market segment on a global scale. The R&D Director must ensure that the company has the right technology in place to be the no. 1 provider of Machine Control solutions.
The ideal candidate will manage Leica Geosystems A/S, Machine Control Divisions R & D department including management of 90 highly skilled employees. The position refers directly to the managing director.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Develop master plans in accordance with strategic technical direction to achieve the business’ objectives to increase revenue, profitability and market share
- Deliver R&D projects in line with the approved project master plan and product roadmap, on time and on, or under, budget
- Provide leadership and general management for the R&D teams based in Heerbrugg, Stockholm, Odense, and Brisbane, and external sites as required, reinforcing the company’s values and the business’ vision
- Maximize product development output by actively managing development deliverables and activities across the R&D teams and internal or external stakeholders
- Provide strategic direction for R&D plans to ensure products developed are consistent with overall technical strategy for the Machine Control Division
- Develop and maintain a technology roadmap and push for implementation of relevant leading-edge technology into our product and solution roadmaps
- Form part of the formal review process of Solution and Product Roadmaps developed by the Product Management organization and actively provide technical input on recommended solutions to ensure the ability to develop according to functional specifications is qualified and valid
- Managing the deployment of product handover packages including software, hardware, and documentation to the product management and operations teams
- Implement agreed levels of quality for software and hardware development, testing and documentation to comply with relevant standards, achieve quality targets and best practice
- Customer focus – understanding customer needs, maintaining a level of urgency when managing development of deliverables, ensuring developments are on track with commitments made to, and nurturing a customer focus in direct reports and their teams
- Develop and maintain a strong understanding of the machine control construction market, key competitors and their solution offerings, market drivers and associated trends
- Provide input as required into the budget process through resource and future needs planning including the needs of the R&D teams for each budget cycle
- Maintain a close contact with other intercompany entities to maximize synergy opportunities when it comes to both technology and resources
- Actively drive continuous improvement projects across the Machine Control Construction R&D organization to increase efficiency, drive innovation, manage costs, increase quality, and reduce time to market
- Provide regular communication, visibility and updates to President – Machine Control Division, MCD management team, direct / functional reports and their teams, and other internal stakeholders
The candidate is offered following:
- An interesting and challenging job in a global international, dynamic company, which are among the best in the world.
- A modern place of work with an informal form of communication and a dedicated team of colleagues.
- Possibilities for both personal and professional development.
- An intercultural company that cares
The ideal candidate has the following qualifications:
- Previous experience in developing technologies for Machine Motion Control and or heavy Construction Machinery (highly desirable).
- 5 to 10 years of product development experience
- 3 years of project management experience.
- A relevant Masters degree.
- Technical expertise in systems architecture, design, and development
- Ability to rapidly grasp new technologies and technical solutions, actively keeps abreast of technological advancements
- Strong general management experience and leadership skills, including the capability of providing direction to staff located both locally and remotely
- Excellent communications skills (verbal and written) Must be able to communicate in English at negotiation level. German would be an advantage.
- Strong strategic thinking skills
- Strong organizational skills and work ethic
- Strong sense of urgency, responsibility, and accountability, and the ability to meet aggressive deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to form strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders and represent the company professionally
An attractive salary package is offered including pension and health insurance.
Interviews be held ongoing and candidates are advised to send their applications as soon as possible
Bente Bisgaard Hill
Headhunter & Seniorpartner
Mail firstname.lastname@example.org Mobil 21 45 96 32