Cobham SATCOM continuously develops and adapts its technologies to meet the unique needs of its’ customers. For this technological leadership role, an R&D Program Manager is sought, who can deliver the agreed specs on time and within budget supported by dedicated R&D project teams and in close dialogue with the individual customer’s technical organization.
Cobham SATCOM (formerly Thrane and Thrane) is a leading manufacturer of satellite and radio communication terminals and earth stations for land, marine and airborne applications.
Their mission is to connect people everywhere providing dependable communications and internet access anywhere under the most demanding conditions.
Being a provider of both the mobile solution and the network side of the satellite communication system Cobham SATCOM works as a turn-key provider of L-band based communication solutions serving all market verticals (Maritime, Land-mobile and indirectly Aero). 30 years of history in the design and development of satellite communication solutions especially with Inmarsat gives Cobham SATCOM a unique position in this specific market.
Cobham SATCOMs R&D department consists of close to 150 specialized engineers covering all technical areas being Analogue and Digital HW, Mechanical design, Firmware, Digital Signal Processing SW and many different types of application SW.
The R&D Program Manager refers to Cobham Satcom Senior Director for Satellite Gateways.
The focus of the R&D Program Manager is technical program delivery; a commercial Program Manager manages the commercial dialogues with the customers.
The R&D Program Manager is assisted by several project managers and a staff of engineers and technicians depending on the scope and the technical complexity of each program (customer delivery). In addition, the R&D Program Manager will receive support for administration and Quality Assurance.
For assigned programs, the R&D Program Manager is responsible for leading and managing the program of multiple projects to deliver the agreed scope at planned quality, time, and cost parameters to satisfy the specified requirements, by:
- Directing, motivating, and providing leadership for the project managers and the broader program team
- Organizing, coordinating, and directing the program activities
- Ensuring effective and open communication throughout the program team and with stakeholders, including the customer, who usually wants to follow the program closely
- Leading the project managers’ planning efforts and resolving resource conflicts across projects
- Follow-up on plan with the Project Managers and agree mitigation action when plan deviations occur
- Managing relationship with key customer personnel
- Integrating the reporting for the program across all the projects making best use of available PMO capabilities
- Integrating the outputs from the projects turning the capabilities into the required outcomes for the stakeholders
- Setting up and operating the governance for the program
The R&D Program Manager is expected to report on assigned programs monthly, and to stay on top of all key program developments.
The R&D Program Manager will have authority to make key decisions to enable agility and speed. Thus, the R&D Program Manager will also take the responsibility for program budget and spending, and he/she will have a strong say in the staffing of the projects.
The travelling activity is expected to be 30 days annually.
The ideal candidate
You have a technical telecommunications background/degree (e.g., Satcom, UMTS 3G or LTE 4G) and at least 10 years’ experience of managing similar technology programs of similar size/scope with a proven delivery track record.
Furthermore, you have:
- strong knowledge of the functional disciplines, SW development and turn-key deliveries, so that you can challenge the proposed solution, and participate in technical discussions with the customer representatives and with your team
- knowledge and demonstrable experience of PPM techniques, project management and contract management with profound experience with budgeting, forecasting, financial follow-up, and work in progress evaluation
- good decision making/problem solving skills – you can make decisions in complex and ambiguous situations and with incomplete data
- good relation-building skills with the ability to lead and manage multi-function (primarily different types of SW) engineering in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
Finally, you are a strong communicator with full working proficiency in English – verbal and written.
From the company HQ in Lyngby, north of Copenhagen, Denmark.
Salary & Compensation
A permanent full-time position with a competitive salary and benefits.
Klavs Jarl Jørgensen
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 30 24 95 75